Parent FAQs

Below is a list of frequently asked questions once your student has enrolled at Western. Still can't find an answer? We're here to help! Call Mustang Central at 307-382-1677 or send us an email.

Financial Aid Questions:

Even though the semester has started your student cal still complete the FAFSA (free application for federal student aid) and potentially be awarded aid. please contact Mustang Central for assistance in completing the FAFSA. The deadline to apply for Institutional Scholarships and Civic Grants is April 1st. 

It is important for your student to review their Financial Aid and Student Finance information in their MyWestern account each semester. Financial Aid can be awarded annually or by semester and all financial aid requires that a student complete a certain number of credits and meet GPA standards. Satisfactory Academic Progress is reviewed every semester to determine continued eligibility, it is important for your student to understand the eligibility requirements for the type of financial aid they are receiving. Please contact Mustang Central -- Financial Aid at 307-382-1884, if you have any questions. 

The FAFSA application opens on October 1st for the 2023-2024 academic year. We encourage all students to submit the FAFSA as early as possible. View the FAFSA application. Western's application for Institutional Scholarships and Civic Grants opens on December 3rd with a priority deadline of April 1st.  Students must apply through the Academic Works scholarship portal

Refund checks are placed in student mailboxes, if they live on campus. Refund checks are mailed out to students living off campus. If a refund has not been received, your student will need to review their account account in MyWestern portal under My Financial Aid. 

Housing Questions:

All student mail should be addressed as seen here:

[Student Name]

2600 College Drive

Rock Springs, WY 82901

All on-campus residents are assigned a personal mailbox located next to the Bookstore on the main campus. Packages, or larger mail, may be picked up at Shipping & Receiving. Notices of packages are emailed to your student's MyWestern email account and indicate when their packages may be picked up. They also have the option of receiving package notifications via text message. Their student ID must be shown to pick up packages. 

If you want only to have Dining Dollars without  a meal plan, or to add Dining Dollars separately from the meal plan, you must do that through Mitchell's Dining Hall.

Call the Dean of Students Office at 307-382-1888. All short-term stays must be related to a Western event, such as a class, lab, sporting event, or theater event. Cost is $30 per night.

If your student lived on campus during the fall semester and is pre-registered for 12 credits for the spring semester, they must notify the Dean of Students Office by the deadline that they plan to stay for the Winter Break. If your student stays through the Winter Break and then cancel for the spring semester, charges for those days will be added to their account. New students cannot move in until the January check-in day. Please note that Mitchell's Dining Hall is closed during the Winter Break. 
If your student lives on campus during spring semester and are pre-registered for 12 credits for the fall semester, they must notify the Housing & Student Life Assistant by the deadline that they plan to stay for the summer. If your student is enrolled in summer credit classes, they may live on campus for the duration of the classes. Students may not move in before the class starts and must move out when the class ends. If they have applied to graduate and sign up for summer housing, they must take a summer class. New fall students cannot move in until the August check-in day. Please note that Mitchell's Dining Hall is closed during the summer break. 
$125 of the $150 will be refunded if a new applicant cancels the housing request before August 1st for the fall semester and before January 1st for the spring semester. If cancellation occurs on or after these specified dates, the housing deposit will be forfeited. Residents living on campus must be moved out by the last contract day of the semester in order to be eligible for a housing deposit refund. 


Want to learn more about us?

Western is an award-winning college in both our on-campus and distance learning programs. We believe our students come first, and your success is our #1 priority. Our motto says it best: “Enter with passion, leave with purpose”. Let us help you on your path to success!