This is the time to become an Automotive Technician! Right now, the automotive field, like many other similar career fields, is predicted to see numerous openings nationwide. This is in part due to the increase in retirees, the rise in vehicles and people on the road, and the increase in the average age of most vehicles. With a minimal investment of time and money, students can be ready to go to work in a field that is changing and growing every day.
Western’s Automotive Department teaches the latest in technology and techniques. Western also works closely with industry partners to ensure that graduates are prepared for the automotive workplace of today and the future. This provides students a better chance of finding job opportunities shortly after graduation and oftentimes even before graduation. Western’s Automotive program objective is to make the transition from school to the field as seamless as possible. Students also have the advantage of transferring credits from this program to another accredited institution if they decide to further their education.
Students of Western’s Automotive Technician Degree and Certificate will learn to correctly maintain, diagnose, and repair the modern vehicle with accuracy and professionalism. They will learn how automotive systems operate and how they work cohesively with other systems within a vehicle. Students will be able to demonstrate knowledge of theory and concepts of eight automotive service and repair areas. They will also learn time management skills useful in the fast-paced world of automotive repair and how to maintain the shop area and equipment.
Below is a list of the core automotive courses taught at Western.
- AUTO_1580 - BASIC AUTO MAINTENANCE
- AUTO_1730 - AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSIONS
- AUTO_1740 - BRAKE SYSTEMS
- AUTO_1765 - AUTOMOTIVE ELECTRICAL SYSTEMS I
- AUTO_1766 - AUTOMOTIVE ELECTRICAL SYSTEMS II
- AUTO_1770 - AUTOMOTIVE ELECTRONICS
- AUTO_2540 - ADVANCED BRAKES & SUSPENSION SYSTEMS
- AUTO_2545 - AUTOMOTIVE ALIGNMENT & STEERING SYSTEMS
- AUTO_1760 - HEATING AND AIR CONDITIONING
- AUTO_2510 - ENGINE PERFORMANCE I
- AUTO_2520 - ENGINE PERFORMANCE II
- AUTO_2590 - ENGINE PERFORMANCE III
- AUTO_1690 - MANUAL POWER TRANSMISSION FUNDAMENTALS
- AUTO_1700 - ENGINE FUNDAMENTALS