MOBILE         STUDENTS         VISITORS & FRIENDS         A-Z INDEX         DIRECTORY         WWCC JOBS         CAMPUS MAP         FAQ MyWWCC
WWCC Logo  
Left Navigation Bar About WWCC Academics Services Admissions WWCC Life Athletics Right Navigation Bar
Layout transition
Social Media Icons Facebook Twitter YouTube LinkedIn Google+ Tumblr Instagram
Veterans Information

Western Wyoming Community College and the Department of Veteran Affairs offer assistance to eligible veterans seeking financial aid to continue their education. Below is a summary of eligibility requirements for this assistance.

Montgomery G.I. Bill - "Active Duty" (Chapter 30)

In order to be eligible for this chapter you must have entered military service after June 30, 1985, and had your basic military pay reduced by $100/month for the first 12 months of service. If you are currently serving on active duty, you must have served a minimum of 2 years continuously before becoming eligible to receive benefits under this chapter. You must also consult with the Education Services Officer (ESO) on your military facility before submitting an application for VA benefits.

If you were separated from active duty because of a service-connected disability or hardship discharge you may be eligible for Chapter 30 benefits without meeting the length of service requirements. In this case you would be entitled to one month of education benefits for each month of military service. If you were eligible for Chapter 34 on December 31, 1989, and have remaining Chapter 34 entitlement you may be eligible for Chapter 30 as of January 1, 1990, and you don't have to have your basic pay reduced if you meet the following criteria:
  • You served on active duty any number of days during the period October 19, 1984 to June 30, 1985
  • You must have served continuously on active duty from July 1, 1985, for 3 years, or served 2 years followed by 4 years in the Selected Reserve.
  • You must be discharged with Honorable standing.
NOTE: In most cases eligibility expires within 10 years of last discharge or release from active duty. You must have been released from active duty with an honorable or uncharacterized discharge. A general discharge does not qualify. If, after December 31, 1976, you received commissions as an officer from service academies or ROTC scholarship programs, you are not eligible for this chapter.

Montgomery G.I. Bill - "Reserve" (Chapter 106)

Basic eligibility under this program extends to a person who, on or after July 1, 1985:
  1. Enlists, re-enlists, or extends an enlistment in the Selected Reserve/National Guard so that the reservist has an obligation to serve for a period of not less than six years following the date of such action; or
  2. Is appointed as, or is serving as, a reserve officer and agrees to serve in the Selected Reserve for a period of not less than six years in addition to any other period of obligated Selected Reserve service; and has completed the requirements of a secondary school diploma or GED before completing the initial active duty for training or is completing a reenlistment or extension in order to establish eligibility for Chapter 106/1606 benefits.

Survivors and Dependents Educational Assistance (Chapter 35)

This chapter is for children and widows or widowers of deceased, POW, MIA or permanently and totally disabled veterans with service-connected disabilities. Eligibility for a veteran's children lasts from age 18 to the student's 26th birthday and up to 10 years from the date of eligibility. For spouses there is no age limit. If you are eligible under this chapter, you may receive up to 45 months of education or training.

VA Vocational Rehabilitation (Chapter 31)

If you are a disabled veteran, you may be eligible for these benefits if you incurred or aggravated a service-connected disability on or after September 16, 1940, which entitles you to Department of Veteran Affairs (DVA) disability compensation. You must be in need of vocational rehabilitation because your disability creates an employment handicap. Eligibility may last for up to 48 months and most veterans usually have 12 years in which to use these benefits. You are encouraged to contact the DVA office nearest you to obtain more detailed information and to request a Disabled Veterans' Application for Vocational Rehabilitation (Form 28-1900).

For more information, contact Mustang Central at (307) 382-1677 or
(307) 382-1600 or toll free (800) 226-1181