MOBILE         STUDENTS         VISITORS & FRIENDS         A-Z INDEX         DIRECTORY         WWCC JOBS         CAMPUS MAP         FAQ MyWWCC
WWCC Logo  
Left Navigation Bar About WWCC Academics Services Admissions WWCC Life Athletics Right Navigation Bar
Layout transition
Social Media Icons Facebook Twitter YouTube LinkedIn Google+ Tumblr Instagram
Western student from Rock Springs receives Mary K. Anderson Scholarship Award

November 10, 2014

Western student Alex
Western student Alexis Valdez (center) is congratulated by Marilyn Tangen (left) and Financial Aid Institutional Specialist Mary Stewart (right).

ROCK SPRINGS – Western student and Rock Springs resident Alexis Valdez is the 2014-15 recipient of the Mary K. Anderson Scholarship Award, which is made available each year by the Rock Springs AE Chapter of the P.E.O (Philanthropic Educational Organization) Sisterhood. The scholarship is named for the late Mary K. Anderson, a former professor at Western and an AE Rock Springs P.E.O. chapter member.

The P.E.O. is dedicated to supporting educational opportunities for women. The annual scholarship is valued at $700 for the academic year.

Valdez, a sophomore, learned of the scholarship through her work-study job in Western’s Financial Aid Office.

“It means a lot to me. I pay for school by myself - it’s all on me,” she said. “I have two jobs, so any extra money is awesome. I also took a couple of extra credits because of this scholarship.”

Alexis is pursuing her General Studies degree at Western but plans to transfer into a Dental Hygiene program after graduating.

Marilyn Tangen, a representative of the AE Rock Springs P.E.O., said that, in some years, the Mary K. Anderson Scholarship has not been awarded due to lack of applicants. She expressed hope that more qualified and deserving students like Alexis will apply for the funds in the future.

“We try to (provide) it for a young lady who is hopefully going to make her career better because of it,” she said.

For more information, contact Audrey Harton at (307) 382-1661 or
(307) 382-1600 or toll free (800) 226-1181