Citizenship classes are offered every year at the Learning Center. This course teaches
the necessary information to be able to fill out an application for Citizenship and
to be able to answer the oral and written tests administered by the Immigration and
Naturalization Service (INS) in order to become a citizen.
In order to apply for naturalization, a person must:
- Be at least 18 years of age.
- Be a lawful permanent U.S. resident and have resided in the U.S. continuously for at least 5 years just before s/he files a petition for naturalization or be a lawful permanent U.S. resident for 3 years, having been married to a U.S. citizen for those 3 years, and continue to be married to that U.S. citizen. S/He must also have resided continuously in the U.S. for those 3 years.
- Have resided at least the last six months of that 5 or 3 years' residence in the state where the petition is filed.
- Be of good moral character and loyal to the U.S.
- Be able to understand, speak, read, and write simple English.
- Possess some knowledge about U.S. history and government.
Materials and additional information available from:
Attention: N-400 Unit
PO Box 87400
Lincoln, NE 68508-7400